How to Speak At Convention
SESSION PROPOSALS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM MAY 7, 2016 TO SEPTEMBER 30, 2016.
The following steps outline how to submit a session proposal for the next Calgary City Teachers’ Convention.
- Register for an account on the CCTCA website. As of 2012, all user accounts are deleted after convention each year. Every year you must create a new account. (Do this by clicking the word “Register” in the top right corner of the page).
- Login to your new account.
- Under the “For Speakers” menu, read the "Speaker Guidelines" and "Speaker Honouraria and Expenses" pages.
- Prepare your proposal by downloading a session planning form and completing it first. If things go wrong later, you can always submit this completed form to the CCTCA Executive Assistant at CCTCAexec@gmail.com.
- Sessions are selected by the CCTCA based on the strength of your session description. Make it clear (avoid jargon), specific to teachers, and punchy (short and sweet).
- Sessions are selected by teacher-delegates largely by title. They have over 400 sessions to choose from each year, and having an interesting title for your session will go a long way to recruiting the audience you want.
- When you're ready to proceed, select "Speaking Proposal Form" under the "For Speakers" menu.
- Fill in all required information and double-check that the email address you have supplied is correct. The online form can be picky. It does not like hidden formatting such as tabs and hard returns and certain non-letter or number characters. It is advised that if you are cutting and pasting from another document that you clear all formatting before you proceed.
- If you're copying and pasting from another document, please ensure that it has been completely copied to your proposal. Passages longer than the allowed character limit will be clipped automatically.
- Your title and session description will appear on the CCTCA website and in the convention app. Please ensure that you have spell-checked, proof-read, and edited your work so that everyone looks professional
- If you need help, email the CCTCA Executive Assistant at CCTCAexec@gmail.com.
- Once you have submitted your proposal, you should receive an email confirming your session proposal has been received. If you need to make any changes, go to www.cctca.com and login. You will be able to view and access your submitted forms under the "My Account" screen. If you need help, email the CCTCA Executive Assistant at CCTCAexec@gmail.com.
- Our convention app keeps speaker names and bios in a seperate database than the session details. The advantage to this is that all speakers will now have their own bios on the convention app and website! For each speaker in your proposed sessions, please complete a "Speaker Bio Form". These can be found under the "For Speakers" menu. Every speaker only needs to have one Speaker Bio Form entered regardless of the number of sessions they're proposing.
- Sessions are selected at the end of September each year. You will likely not hear from anyone on the CCTCA until the end of September. If your session is accepted, you will receive an emailed contract with further details and instructions. If your session is declined, you will receive an email explaining that we have passed on your session. Don’t take this personally; every year we receive almost 1000 proposals for only 400 program spots.
- After you have been scheduled into a room and time block, you will receive this information. Please understand that scheduling convention is complex and it is very difficult to make any alterations to the schedule. If you need your session moved and the CCTCA cannot accommodate this, your session may be cancelled.
- A convention app will be made in the late fall and selected speakers will be invited to login, edit their biographical and session details, upload session documents and presentations, and email teachers who are interested in their sessions. We encourage speakers to tweet about their session by directing tweets to @CCTCA and using the hashtag #CCTC2017.